Monday, August 31, 2009

"good times."

orientation is being held on the outskirts (I think) of nairobi. we’re at a facility (the mary ward center) run by nuns, who are very nice, quiet and excellent cooks. there is religious iconography everywhere and the “good times” bible was sitting on the desk in my room. I’m not sure who named the “good times” bible but I question whether or not they’ve actually read the bible. as I recall, not such good times.

christianity is definitely one of the most obvious relics of colonialism. and while the “good times” bible and the cruxified jesus’ catch me a little off guard, I do love the tea. having tea twice a day is lovely. if I weren’t constantly wearing my orange chaco sandals and my stomach weren’t making strange alarming gurgling noises I might almost feel classy. almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment