Tuesday, October 6, 2009

maternal heartstrings.

a few weeks ago my host sister took me to nyumbani, which means home in swahili. she volunteers there every day before school. nyumbani is a home for aids orphans. cutest kids ever. I helped feed the infants and put them down for naps and played with the kids under two. I got mobbed by the toddlers. just visualize eight little kids simultaneously climbing all over me, like their own person white bounce-y castle.

some were orphaned when their parents died of aids, others were abandoned when their parents discovered their condition. they were all adorable. really sweet and mostly happy. their caretakers are lovely and very nurturing.

while I had a fantastic time playing with the kids I was terrified, in fact, I was straight up panicked. a) before arriving I was nervous I would be overcome with what I have dubbed angelina jolie-it is, the need to adopt everything and anything helpless. I mean if infant aids orphans don’t pull at your maternal heartstrings, what will? b) I was pretty convinced I was going to break one of the infants. my host sister laughed hysterically at my expense. she said I looked scared to death of the babies. it turns out I have no natural instincts when it comes to babies. I know you aren’t supposed to drop them. but apart from that I got nothing.

I dodged both bullets. didn’t drop any babies (score!) and left childless.

but if you know anyone looking to adopt…

No comments:

Post a Comment