Saturday, October 10, 2009

rain.

you know how the south african swim team at the olympics is always white? I figured out why.

yesterday for the first time in a long time it rained. given the drought I expected kenyans to be stoked it was raining. you know, the country is on the verge of starvation, the rivers are dry, etc. rain should cause some mild celebration. nope. I've never seen kenyans move that fast... if they weren't sprinting ungodly fast for home they were lined up against the building attempting to wait it out.

I forget when its dark out that just because I can't see their faces doesn't mean they can't see mine. compared to people here I might as well radioactively glow in the dark. after a bit I realized I was the only person still walking on the road, and everyone else was just staring at me. nothing like being white and soaking wet to call attention to yourself.

I have a hunch this country may come to screeching halt come the rainy season.

No comments:

Post a Comment