Tuesday, December 29, 2009

trains and english breakfast.

so Gabe and I are now on the coast of Kenya, Mombasa to be specific, today at least.

I forgot how effing hot it is here. my skin wants to melt off! but I'll be the tannest kid in alaska so I figure its worth it.

given how many buses we've been on and how little fun they are Gabe and I opted to take the bus from Nairobi to Mombasa. they say its on the last great colonial experiences in Kenya. not to mention you can lay down and sleep.

I wouldn't say its the nicest train I've ever been on and it certainly isn't fast but it is exceedingly more pleasant than the bus! we left nairobi and 7 pm and had a nice meal in the dining car around 9:45. we played some cards and read our book. [Gabe and I bought a copy of Pride and Prejudice in Kampala, it was either Jane Austen or a chemistry textbook and we opted for the epic of Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy - we've been reading aloud every night because we sure aren't paying enough for accomodations to have TV... yeah, its super cute and super dorky.]

after a somewhat peaceful, as peaceful as a train that has been updated in 40 years can be, sleep we woke to a english breakfast. beans, toast, eggs, sausage and tea. Gabe must drink at least 5 cups of tea a day - he loves it, and has vowed to drink exclusively chai at home.

we arrived in mombasa on time (10 am) because the train didn't break down! we're staying in a lovely hostel that overlooks the indian ocean. we swam as soon as we arrived and we walked around old town Mombasa today and enjoyed some delicious swahili food.

I definitely recommend the train.

No comments:

Post a Comment